Why/how can you use a poll/survey?
- Increase classroom participation and attentiveness
- Encourage risk-taking with anonymous student responses
- Elicit diverse opinions when there isn’t a correct answer
- Gauge student comprehension of material immediately
- Grab students with thought-provoking critical inquiry opening questions
- Assess last night’s reading with a quick quiz
- Strengthen retention
- Utilize its capabilities outside the classroom for PD, student-run presentations, talent shows, battle of the bands, staff presentations, student government, or community forums.
What online polls/surveys are available?
- PSDTECHPD wiki site
- Google spreadsheets/forms
- PollDaddy. A video tutorial can be found on youtube.
- PollEverywhere with a video tutorial as well.
Take your time at choosing an online poll/survey format. I really like GoogleForms since I have a gmail account this is easy for me to use, however the URL for a survey is quite long and if you don’t have student emails then this is not a good choice. PollEverywhere is a great choice for students who just have access to computers (you can use twitter and smartphones as well) since it requires a simple website URL and a specific # or title to type in.