The instructional strategy of setting objectives focuses on establishing a direction for learning. Technology can enhance the goal-setting process by providing organizational and communication tools that make it easier to clarify and communicate the learning objectives for teachers, students and parents.
• Teachers already use technology to set up lessons/unit plans.
• Next step is to have students prompted to think about setting objectives as well. (On own time: See Obama’s speech found at http://www.whitehouse.gov/mediaresources/ with classroom activities for K-6 and 7-12.)
• KWL or KWHL chart – activates prior knowledge and personalize learning goals.
• Create learning contracts on a template.
1) Google Docs – is an easy-to-use online word processor, spreadsheet and presentation editor that enables you and your students to create, store and share instantly and securely, and collaborate online in real time.
create new documents from scratch
upload existing documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
no software to download
all your work is stored safely online and can be accessed from any computer.
2) Watch the video with teachers and principals speaking about Google Docs http://www.google.com/educators/p_docs.html .
3) Go online to http://docs.google.com
4) Sign up (free)
5) Create either:
• a web based KWHL for setting lesson objectives and communicate these goals with your group.
• a learning contract template for students to complete.
• an online document or spreadsheet.
6) OR upload an existing document that you already have.
7) Invite and share this document with your group members.
This tool also allows students, teachers and administrators to collaborate and share with each other. You can set a specific collaboration time or just send a link. Please play with this feature to see the usefulness between “teams of people” in your group today.
8) Feel free to view further resources (http://docs.google.com ):
9) For advanced information see Google Apps Education
10) If time permits, feel free to check out http://zoho.com .